|Ely Shoshone Tribal Conservation District
Shoshone Tribe is one of the nine bands of what is known as the Western
Shoshone Nation and is a signatory of the Ruby Valley Treaty of
1963, which divided the Great Western Shoshone
Nation into the nine bands.
The Ely Shoshone Tribal Reservation was created in 1934 under the Indian Reorganization Act.
December 20, 2006, United States President George W. Bush signed a Bill which
transferred 3,526 acres of land into Trust for the Ely Shoshone Tribe.
Prior to the transfer Ely Shoshone Tribe's land base was 110 acres.
The Tribe is checker boarded throughout a 35 mile radius in seven different parcels.
Street Parcel. Ten (10) acres of land was purchased for the Ely
Shoshone Tribal people in 1931 by the Federal Government under the
authority of the Act of June 27, 1930 for Indian village
purposes. The property is within the City limits of Ely.
The property is located on a side of a steep hill of 20-30% grade.
Circle/JV Walker Parcel. In 1973, the Tribe entered into a 55-year
lease with White Pine County for an additional parcel of eleven (11)
acres for home site construction. The Tribe purchased this land
outright in 1992 and is in the process of placing into Trust Status.
Heritage Drive/Arrowhead Circle
Parcel. In 1977, PL 95-191 (through land withdrawal process)
conveyed to the Ely Shoshone Tribe 90 acres of land adjoining the Ely
City limits to the south.
The newly acquired Parcels
Parcel #1 is 543 acres and located approximately 1.5
miles south of Ely on Highway 93. This area is mainly designed
for home sites and economic development.
Parcel #2 is 302 acres and located approximately 5.5 miles south of Ely of Highway 93.
#3 is the biggest parcel at approximately 1994 acres and is located
approximately 7.5 miles southwest of Ely on Highway 6. This site cannot
be built on and is designated for cultural and spiritual purposes.
#4 is approximately 660 acres and is located approximately 23.75 miles
north of Ely on Highway 93. This acreage is for economic development.
Cemetery: The Tribe also has one cemetery
which is 1.1 acres that is located in Baker, Nevada which is
approximately 60 miles east of Ely. This cemetery has
approximately 8-10 grave sites located in it.